Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Shrimp Fried "Rice"

This recipe. Is. Awesome. 

I kept seeing posts on Pinterest and other websites about using grated cauliflower as rice, and I was immediately intrigued.  I love cauliflower just on its own, but I have to say I was concerned that a dish like this would come out with too much of a cauliflower taste - distracting from the traditional shrimp fried rice flavors one would expect.  Luckily, the flavors ended up going together perfectly, and I never would have guessed it was cauliflower by the taste.  I also cringed at the thought of grating cauliflower.  I am not a fan of grating veggies, as it always seems to take so much more time than I expect.  Also, with the cauliflower specifically, I knew I'd later be finding little bits of white veggies in all the nooks and crannies of my kitchen for days.  

Cue the blender.  It worked perfectly for grating the cauliflower into rice-sized bits.  I worked in small batches, and actually did this step a day in advance because I wasn't sure how long it would actually take.  I was pleasantly surprised that this step only took about 5 minutes.


Then I stored the "rice" in an airtight container, lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture.


Here is the full recipe:


Shrimp Fried "Rice"

From The Londoner
  • 1 cauliflower
  • coconut Oil
  • sesame Oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • a few chillies or peppers (I used a sampling from our Crop Share)
  • 2-3 spring onions, chopped
  • soy sauce
  • ~1 lb shrimp (either raw or pre-cooked)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • 1 handful peanuts, chopped
  • sriracha sauce, if desired

"Grate" up the cauliflower in small batches in a blender, and place in a bowl.

Heat up a tablespoon or two of the coconut and sesame oils in a wok if you have one (I used a cast iron skillet).  Once the oil has heated, add the garlic and chillies.

Cook for a few minutes until the garlic has started to brown and your kitchen is smelling awesome.  Add in the "rice" and give it a good stir so that the oils start to absorb into it.

Cook for about 2-3 minutes and then add your spring onions.


If your shrimp is raw, now is a good time to heat up a second skillet with some coconut oil.  Cook your shrimp until no longer pink, and enjoy the delicious coconut shrimp smells!

Back to your "rice" - add in a few tablespoons of soy sauce to get a nice golden color.  Once the shrimp is cooked, add that into the mix.

Make a little well in the middle of your skillet and crack an egg.  Let the egg cook a bit, then give it all a good stir.  Repeat with the second egg.


Place into bowls and serve with cilantro, peanuts and sriracha.  Also, delicious with a Pinot Grigio :)  Buen provecho!



No comments:

Post a Comment