Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Chocolate Cherry Smoothie

Dessert for dinner?  Yes, please :)  Actually, I would say this smoothie would make an awesome breakfast, lunch or dinner.  In fact, I've had this for dinner one day and breakfast another day over the past week.  It filled me up and satisfied my sweet tooth all in one, yet there's no added sugar in sight.  I think the key ingredient here is the raw cacao powder.  I used Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao PowderThe difference in taste between this and your standard super processed cocoa powder is incredible.  And less processing with low heat means more nutrients stay in the final product.  

Check it out:













They sell this brand at Whole Foods and David's Natural Market (my favorite) among other places, but if you can't find it in your local store, I've included an Amazon link - just click this picture:


Also, frozen spinach or kale is an excellent addition to a smoothie - you can barely taste it, since it is frozen it helps keep things thick and cold, and it adds a ton of nutrients.  Kind of like a salad in disguise.
 

Chocolate Cherry Smoothie

By GreensForMe

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp raw cacao powder
  • 1 C frozen cherries
  • 1 banana
  • ~1/2 C greek yogurt
  • ~1/2 C frozen spinach 
  • 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
  • almond milk - a few splashes to help things blend easier
Put all in a blender and process until smooth.  Once you've enjoyed this, a late night sweet snack won't even cross your mind tonight :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment