Monday, December 23, 2013

Caprese Christmas Wreath

Merry Christmas!  This is a festive variation on the classic caprese salad.  I brought this over to my Mom's Christmas party yesterday - it was super easy to put together, and the colors were so vibrant.  If you're looking for a last minute app to bring to Christmas, definitely check this one out.  I don't own very much in the way of Christmas decorations or items, but I do happen to have a couple Christmas plates.  I didn't even know I had this cute Christmas bird one, but when I saw it I knew it would be perfect.  The only thing was that the plate was square, so even though I tried to round out the sides, the wreath still ended up taking the shape of the plate a bit too much.  If you have a small round plate instead, you'll be set - although I still think the square shape was worth it for the cute bird :)

I've also made this appetizer for other parties, sans wreath shape.  In this case, the basil leaf seems to fit best between the mozzarella and tomato instead of on the end.  It's a great colorful addition to any party table.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday, and that you all get to enjoy some good quality time with family and friends.


Caprese Christmas Wreath

  • mozzarella balls
  • grape or cherry tomatoes
  • fresh basil leaves
  • toothpicks
  • olive oil
  • balsamic vinegar
  • salt & pepper
Pick out basil leaves that are all about the same size, wash, and let dry on a paper towel.



Use the toothpicks to start assembling the wreath sections.  You could also randomly change up the order of the mozzarella and tomato as you go to add some variety.



Add a second layer on top of the first to help make the wreath a bit more full.



Whisk together about a tablespoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Spoon the mixture over the wreath.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment