Sunday, March 9, 2014

Spicy Lemon Broccolini

The broccolini caught my eye at the grocery store the other day.  A lot like broccoli, but skinnier stalks with a bit heartier florets - I knew it would stand up well to being sauteed in my cast iron.  And it was just fun to mix things up a bit.  It was ready in 10 minutes, and super filling.  Howie also loved it, so I'll definitely be making it again soon.

Spicy Lemon Broccolini

by GreensForMe

  • 1 bunch broccolini
  • olive oil or sunflower oil
  • 1 tsp butter (I used grass fed!)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • a pinch or two of crushed red pepper
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • chopped fresh herbs (I used parsley & thyme)
  • salt & pepper 
  • couscous (optional)
Get your cast iron skillet heating up on medium/medium high heat.  Add your oil, butter and garlic.

Cook couscous according to package directions.

Once the garlic starts to brown a bit, add your broccolini, season with salt & pepper, coriander, and crushed red pepper.  Squeeze the lemon juice in the skillet and add the red wine vinegar.  Add the fresh herbs.


Give everything a good stir.  The broccolini should cook up pretty fast - once it starts to char just a bit, take it off the heat. 

Plate the couscous and add the broccolini on top.  Enjoy!


I had leftover couscous, so the next night, I made the same dish but with halved Brussels sprouts.  This time I tossed the couscous in the pan with the Brussels so it would all heat up together.  Added a side salad, and had another delicious and easy meal.  This is definitely something I will go back to time and again.


No comments:

Post a Comment